It is back to school week at our house, and we are gearing up for a fun and very busy year. When we are on-the-go it is so important to plan ahead and pack healthy and satisfying meals/snacks that will keep us running straight to dinner.
My top picks include:
- Justin’s Maple Almond Butter- single serve packs. Smear it on a green apple, rice cake, or suck it right out of the package. The individual portion is key- It is so tasty, I’m not sure I could control myself around the entire jar;)
- Nuts and Seeds- Portion control matters. Buy the single serving packs or divvy them up yourself. I like to mix 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds with 16 Ghiradelli (60% Cocoa) dark chocolate chips for the perfect sweet salty crunch in the afternoon.
- Wholly Guacamole 100 cal packs are another fantastic treat. Made with simple all-natural ingredients, it is great with veggies, Mary’s Gone Crackers or Beanitos chips.
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Tuna pouches
- Kind bars- Their new line of low-sugar nut and spice bars are the best!
- Jerky- With Paleo eating becoming a mainstream affair, all-natural jerky is readily available. Check-out your local Whole Foods or health food store for a pretty tasty selection.
- Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Pair with berries, apple or veggies and you will have steady energy to spare.
Drink up! Keep your energy up, and stave off hunger with calorie-free beverages like seltzer and H20!
Tip: While you are prepping dinner, toss extra chopped veggies into a mason jar for lunch tomorrow. Not only is it super cute, but it will keep your salad fresh.
I call this, Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chopped Salad. I included baby spinach, broccoli, tomatoes,peppers, pieces of baked sweet potato, cucumber, and turkey breast (just the stuff I happened to have on hand). I finished it with my favorite bottled dressing, Newman’s Own Organic Low Fat Ginger Sesame. It makes anything delicious!